My Polka Dot Apron

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 23, 2018 7:02 pm  #1

Food wash/spray

I usually just wash/soak my food with baking soda and sea salt mixed together in the sink and it seems to work just fine.  I saw this today and decided to give it a try because I like the ingredient combo and because three 16 oz bottles plus S&H was just $19.70 and I didn't think that was too bad.  Gonna test it out and see how it goes.  I may go back to my own mixture, who knows.  But I thought I'd share this anyhow.  Might be just what you're looking for!

https://products.mercola.com/fruit-and-vegetable-wash/

A government which robs Peter to
pay Paul can always depend on
the support of Paul.
-- George Bernard Shaw

September 22, 2018 10:26 pm  #2

Re: Food wash/spray

Meh, the stuff from Mercola is ok, but it's just as easy to do my baking soda thing, or even my bleach wash.  They work just as effectively, if not moreso. 

1/4 tsp plain clorox bleach (make sure not to use any of their scented junk) to a gallon of water in your kitchen sink.  This works very well for leafy veggies such as lettuces, arugala, kale, boy choy, etc., but works equally well for hard fruits and veggies.  Soak leafy things for 5-10 min and then for another 10 min in plain filtered water.  Harder skinned fruits and veggies can be in the bleach soak for 15 min and then in fresh water rinse for 10 mins.  Shake out the leafy veggies well and let drain in the sink or roll up in paper towels and then shake into the sink and let air dry.

A government which robs Peter to
pay Paul can always depend on
the support of Paul.
-- George Bernard Shaw

Board footera