My Polka Dot Apron

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 19, 2023 2:15 am  #1

Stuff made using boxed cake mixes

Can you imagine?  I never thought of the Amish as being a group who would actually use cake mixes, I hate them myself.  The only boxed cake I buy is Angel Food because I do not often have 12 egg whites to "get rid of".  I USE my eggs, especially now when the biden "administration" is trying to take meat and eggs away from the US consumer.  What a dumbass.

https://www.amish365.com/5-amish-boxed-cake-mix-recipes/

Below is the quoted material from Kevin Williams at Amish 365 (which I have deliver to my email mailbox every day).  He always has interesting stories to tell !

"Today’s recipes focus on Amish concoctions that contain boxed cake mixes. Yes, Amish cooks are like anyone else, sometimes a box of Betty Crocker is helpful in a pinch.
=18pxThe two best known boxed cake mixes that I can think of are Betty Crocker and Duncan Hines. Whoops, I just thought of another: Pillbury. They'd be up there too. Betty Crocker is a fictional character made up by an ad agency. Pillsbury is someone’s last name who founded a grain company in the 1860s. But Duncan Hines? That guy is closest to my heart of the baking mixes.

Duncan Hines was a real person he didn’t really hit it big until he was in his mid-50s, a true late business bloomer.=18pxIn a tangential twist, The Amish Cook column appears in several newspapers that were once owned by the Park Newspaper company, which dissolved after the founder, Roy Park, passed away some 20 years ago. Duncan Hines once wrote a food column for newspapers in the 1950s and published some food guides which impressed Roy Park so much that the two formed the Hines-Park Food company which started developing products under the name “Duncan Hines,", eventually selling the cake mix rights to what is known today as Conagra. So The Amish Cook I suppose as a distant connection to Duncan Hines.

I’ll be honest that I can’t tell a bit of difference between Betty Crocker, Duncan Hines, Pillsbury or any other boxed mixes. Can you? If so, persuade me please."

Last edited by Debrah (January 19, 2023 2:58 am)

A government which robs Peter to
pay Paul can always depend on
the support of Paul.
-- George Bernard Shaw

Board footera