My Polka Dot Apron

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 14, 2022 7:28 am  #1

Weather: Do you remember the coldest winter ever?

I sure as hell do.  It was 1983 in the Northern Great Plains where I live.  I was in the process of getting ready to graduate from Paralegal School but we had to cancel that event 4 times before we could finally get an evening nice enough for people to want to be out and about.  And I would have been dragging my oldest 2 children with me, besides so you don't really wanna be out and about on slippery roads, getting in and out of a cold car, etc.  I also was very nervous because my new boss was going to be there.  I had been hired by the States Attorney's office and was set to go to work there as soon as I graduated.  I didn't really look forward to going across the stage for my diploma with freezing cold legs (we had to wear dresses back then because it was actually a civilized society and I am a woman, I'm not a freak just a woman with legs and arms that get cold !  And boy did we get and stay cold.  I think it took me half the night under an electric blanket on HIGH before I finally warmed up enough to fall asleep.

It was one COLD mother!

Read all about it right here:

https://www.farmersalmanac.com/1983-the-coldest-christmas-ever-16620

The area where I now live had a BIG taste of Winter Storm Atlas in 2013 and we may be about to repeat that, only this time I live alone so I'm taking all kinds of precautions.  When my husband was still around, he always knew what to do in situations like that, but I was so busy watching daycare babies I didn't pay close enough attention, I guess, so I had to hire everything done this year.  Rather than an utterly overpriced Generac, I installed a generator on the back deck of my home and that is plugged into a device supplied by my local power company called a Generlink.  So if it storms badly enough for the power to go out, I can go out and quickly flip a couple of switches, make sure there's enough gas in the dual/fuel generator, pull the cord and we're off to the races with power throughout my home. 

It's funny how you only have to learn a hard lesson ONCE in order to take steps to get things corrected for yourself! 

A government which robs Peter to
pay Paul can always depend on
the support of Paul.
-- George Bernard Shaw

December 14, 2022 7:50 am  #2

Re: Weather: Do you remember the coldest winter ever?

https://www.rcgov.org/rapid-city-news-room/a-look-back-winter-storm-atlas-1657.html

The lady mentioned in the article, Alexa White, who works (still) for the County Emergency Services was actually one of my daycare clients at the time!  She and her husband had a baby girl who was born on 10-10-10 (of all things) and I watched her until she was 4 years old.  We had so much snow I was closed for a few days but slowly people started bringing back babies and older kids to my daycare (I didn't start infant daycare until 2015, doing full time daycare for infants only, no toddlers.  I was getting older by the day and just wasn't up to handlling toddlers AND babies.  And believe me after all those cold days in a row, there was a whole new crop of babies for the next couple of years!!!!!!!!!!!!   My business BOOMED!

A government which robs Peter to
pay Paul can always depend on
the support of Paul.
-- George Bernard Shaw

Board footera