My Polka Dot Apron

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 4, 2022 1:40 am  #1

Vitamin supplements

I take a couple of things regularly (D3, K2, Magnesium Asporotate, silica/collagen, quercetin & zinc) but I wanted to start taking a form of alpha lipoic acid and I was also going to take the Chondroitin Sulfate recommended at the link below, but I've been closely "label reading" all of my vitamin bottles recently and I find that most of them are quite high in sodium. Actual sodium, not a "by product" thing.

https://www.lewrockwell.com/2021/10/no_author/the-forgotten-cure-that-prevents-mortal-heart-attacks/

Lately my feet have been swelling, most especially my right foot, and I decided to eliminate (for now) all supplements containing sodium.  The problem is, I think one of the Rx meds I take since the stroke (in early April 2019) also must contain a lot of sodium, and yet my blood sodium levels are always low - too low.  It's a conundrum, for sure.  But I don't like having swollen feet.  I am not due for a doctor visit for 1 1/2 months yet, so I will play with the elimination of vitamins and see if it makes a difference.  I will know, because the strong smell of my urine should disappear.  That "smell thing" happened shortly after my husband passed away in mid-March last year so I just thought it was from stress, but it never went away.  I think I'm pretty much over the stress part now and yet this stong urine thing continues, so I'm playing detective.

Anyone have suggestions?  Anyone with a normal looking email address who signs up here for membership will be approved *temporarily at least*, but I would welcome any input.

A government which robs Peter to
pay Paul can always depend on
the support of Paul.
-- George Bernard Shaw

March 7, 2022 1:25 am  #2

Re: Vitamin supplements

I think I've found the answer to my "feet swelling" issues.

I didn't change the doses or anything, I just moved my Rx pills around a bit.  I never take them all at one time, and for good reason - - and also, now I know why!

I now take my water pill (bumex, or bumetanide) on an empty stomach when I get up in the morning, first thing - even before any food (I don't usually like to take meds on an empty tummy, long story).  I have also started taking the 1/2 water pill at the very end of the day right after I climb into bed.  It does make me get up in the middle of the night but I was doing that anyway at my age (just once though) and for the past 3-4 days my feet have been just fine.  I also have been wearing my flip-flops exclusively all day long, outdoors and indoors and we just got 4 inches of snow!  I was out shoveling this morning in my flip-flops and my neighbors think I'm nutz!  I hafta tell you though, with my neuropathy issues, that cold snow felt really good on my unusually ALWAYS HOT feet.  Weird, huh.

Anyway, problem solved so far, I hope this continues to control the water issue.

A government which robs Peter to
pay Paul can always depend on
the support of Paul.
-- George Bernard Shaw

Board footera