My Polka Dot Apron

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 15, 2018 2:54 am  #1

Homemade cream of anything soup

I thought I posted this here, but I've done a search (which is quite lame at this forum) and found nothing, so I'm posting it  again.

Don't buy creamed soups at the store. They are loaded with garbage ingredients and preservatives.

Make your own. It's easy and you can make whatever kind you need or want in just a few minutes. I make cream of celery often because I use it for casseroles and because it's one of our favorite flavors. You can also make cream of mushroom, onion, a mixture of colorful peppers (sweet or hot, your choice), broccoli, cauliflower, asparagus, brussels sprouts - pick a veggie or a combo of your own.

Melt butter (only real butter, no substitutes please) and sweat your chosen veggies or brown them, whichever you prefer. Add some flour and make a crumbly mixture and let it brown as you stir, but be careful with this step so you don't burn it. Then slowly add some real, raw cream (you can buy ALMOST raw cream at your local health food store - mine is Kalona brand) and continue to stir with a whisk or a fork until the lumps are all smoothed out and the "soup" is the thickness you desire. Add some Kalona milk if necessary to thin the soup a little if you need it less thick.

You can make it thick or thin, your choice. Add sea salt and pepper to taste. Sometimes, depending on how I'm going to use the creamed soup, I will add other spices/herbs, like dill weed, fennel seeds, a little cardamom or allspice or nutmeg. YUM!

There you have it. Simple, easy, healthy and tasty.

**One note: if you aren't going to brown the flour, don't use flour or you will have a very "floury" taste. Got that?! Use a little arrowroot instead.

A government which robs Peter to
pay Paul can always depend on
the support of Paul.
-- George Bernard Shaw

June 16, 2020 11:37 pm  #2

Re: Homemade cream of anything soup

Bump!

the support of Paul.
-- George Bernard Shaw

December 22, 2020 10:21 pm  #3

Re: Homemade cream of anything soup

Bump.

This is a great recipe to use for making that famous "Green Bean Hotdish" with the crumbled dried onion on top.  I do not use canned "cream of" soups unless I'm in a real big rush.  Most of them have far too many nasty ingredients and besides all of which, they taste awful.

But this stuff is delicious.  I am making a batch of celery-onion "cream of soup" today to get it ready for my Green Bean Hotdish.  I do not use the canned dried onions anymore either because most of the time when you open the can they smell so rancid it makes me sick to my stomach.  I have started using those crispy things from the potato chip aisle called Funyums.  They work very well in place of the dried onions.

Good luck on everything you bake/make this year!  Hope this recipe is helpful to your healthy eating cause.

the support of Paul.
-- George Bernard Shaw

Board footera