My Polka Dot Apron

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 2, 2020 1:30 am  #1

Tomato Rice Soup

They are calling this a Polish recipe but I've seen it around for a long time (in all kinds of recipe books, which is kinda sorta my hobby!) and I'm not sure why it's referred to as Polish.

I didn't have time to stand around and peel a bunch of expensive tomatoes (and they're awfully pricey right now, as is EVERYTHING, thanks to the fake "pandemic" flu craziness which has saturated this country and many others).  So I opened a can of tomato paste (it's all I had on hand) and added it to taste.  I think I used about 1/2 to 3/4th's of one of those small cans (2 oz or so, I think).  A can of whole, peeled tomatoes would work fine too, if you don't mind the chunks in your soup, or even a can of diced tomatoes would do fine.  I like the fire-roasted tomatoes.  Before I add the rice (when using whole tomatoes or diced) I use my hand blender (I call it my magic wand) to blend everything leaving no chunks of anything if I decide that's what I want to do; otherwise I just leave everything whole.

I also used brown rice because my DH hates white rice and I'm not too fond of it myself - - it's too starchy. 

This was simply delicious and a nice light supper, also, if you aren't feeling well.  Even with a bad cold a couple of years ago, this tasted just scrumptious to me.  It will keep in the fridge for several days.

https://www.thespruceeats.com/polish-tomato-rice-soup-recipe-1137119

A government which robs Peter to
pay Paul can always depend on
the support of Paul.
-- George Bernard Shaw

Board footera