My Polka Dot Apron

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 11, 2020 1:57 am  #1

Growing and storing your own pumpkins - it's easy to do

Hey, if I can do it anyone can do it, since I normally have a fairly black thumb with certain garden crops.

https://www.almanac.com/video/how-grow-cure-and-store-pumpkins

This is about a 5 1/2 minute video.

I usually plant this combo along the fenceline in the backyard area.  The sunlight streams to about a 3 ft width before the shade from the house immediately plunges the rest of the backyard into the shade.  Great for ferns but not for veggies.

You can use lots of different combinations for this task, but corn is essential, since it is the part of the "sisters" that is used as the ladder or the growing pole for the other two crops.  I use corn, then around the base of the corn (once established and about 5 inches high) I plant squash or cukes or pumpkins.  The 3rd leg of the 3 sisters is usually green beans or early in the season if the corn is established well enough (it's hardy in cold climates once established) I plant a multitude of green peas, in fact I OVER PLANT those because the vines are very thin and can intermingle nicely without damaging the crop.  Peas like cooler weather which is why it's usually one of the first crops of the season in this area of the country. 

For 2 years in a row now, I haven't been able to plant ANYTHING because it's been far too cold even into June and most of the crops require at least 90 to 100 days to mature and if I can't plant before mid-June it's basically too damned late!

Our greenhouse was severely damaged last year in the hailstorms, and was entirely finished off with this year's bounty of hailstorms.  No more greenhouses for me because they require a lot of time and effort to construct and get ready for the plants and I just don't have the energy anymore. 

A government which robs Peter to
pay Paul can always depend on
the support of Paul.
-- George Bernard Shaw

Board footera