My Polka Dot Apron

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 8, 2020 12:04 am  #1

Refrigerator dill pickles - YUM!

Easy to make as long as you can find the right kind of pickles, the right size and color.  I haven't been able to have a garden here for the past 3 years because it's been too cold right up to the end of June, and then the oven gets turned 0n up above and all of a sudden it's 90+ degrees, the ceiling fans go on, the air conditioning goes on, etc.  Believe me, no one wants to can veggies or anything else under THOSE conditions.  My ancestors did, of course, because they had no choice, but my grandparents who lived on the ranch/farm had a summer kitchen to do the canning, etc., and a root cellar to keep all the finished stuff in, where it was protected from the heat in the summer and the cold in the winter.  I was down in that cellar many times (it was also a storm shelter in emergencies) and the temperature was always perfect down there.  It was an amazing contrast to what was up above, and that's the God's truth.

Anyway, this is a simple recipe (I left out the sugar - diabetic husband and many diabetic friends) but it worked regardless.  ** OFF TOPIC A BIT: Isn't it strange how soooooo many people have diabetes all of a sudden?  We can thank modern industrial foods for that.  When I was growing up the only diabetic people usually had type 1 (they were born with it) and to be honest we rarely ever heard the term at all.  I had a cousin with type 1 diabetes and it took them forever to find a doctor who even knew the symptomatology and could identify the problem and get her on insulin.  She once again became the girl we'd all known - it was dramatic, to say the least.

At any rate, here's the recipe and I can verify that this recipe (which is truly an old one) is delicious.  As the article points out, and so did I up above, you must find the right type of pickling cukes, however.  Those huge, tasteless, overgrown things in the grocery stores that they try to pass off as a cuke are no such thing.  Those are a hybrid of cukes and zucchini unless I miss my guess.  They're truly awful tasting if they have any flavor at all.  Personally, I prefer the little cukes for eating raw as much as I do for making pickles - - they have MUCH more flavor.

https://oldworldgardenfarms.com/2020/07/07/refrigerator-dill-pickles-recipe-2/

A government which robs Peter to
pay Paul can always depend on
the support of Paul.
-- George Bernard Shaw

Board footera