My Polka Dot Apron

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 6, 2020 4:37 am  #1

French onion soup with cheesy bread

This is exactly like the soup we used to have at a local restaurant, which has since closed.  Our son worked there during his high school years (first as a dishwasher, then something else (I can't remember what!) and then he was a waiter.  He LOVED it and he really liked the people who owned the place (which always helps).  My husband and I miss the FOOD - - it was extraordinarily good for restaurant food, top notch stuff.  They had a steak that makes my mouth water just to think about it.  I don't know why they closed (luckily it was quite a few years after our son worked there) maybe they just got tired out.  They were busy from 4 in the afternoon until 2 in the a.m. with huge crowds, so it wasn't that they weren't making money!

I call them another victim of the Obozo years.

Anyway, this stuff is just delicious, however I changed up the recipe to use actual beef bouillon cubes (Wylers) instead of that watery crappy broth they sell in boxes - -yuckola.  The onions I used were white and they had a superb flavor (I think vadalia, but not sure about that).

https://www.thespruceeats.com/easy-french-onion-soup-3062131

A government which robs Peter to
pay Paul can always depend on
the support of Paul.
-- George Bernard Shaw

Board footera