My Polka Dot Apron

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 3, 2017 10:32 pm  #1

Real Cream Scones

A scone is a small baked pastry with a crispy outside and an inside which is light, fluffy and has a rich, buttery flavor. Serve them for breakfast or afternoon coffee, or use them as a base for a berry shortcake.

I've made the cherry/almond a few times. They are to die for. Organic dried cherries. YUM!

=====================

SCONES

2-1/2 cups flour (I use a mixture of flours sometimes)
2 TBSP sugar
1 TBSP baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/3 cup butter
2 eggs, beaten
3/4 cup whipping cream (raw cream)
1/2 cup dried currants or snipped raisins (optional; see below)
Whipping Cream or milk
Sugar

*I sometimes totally omit the dried fruit and have just a creamy/buttery flavored scone with tea, coffee or milk. The scones are somewhat dry (they're supposed to be) so you need to have something to drink. You could use jelly or marmalade.

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.

In a large bowl combine flour, the 2 TBSP sugar, the baking powder, and salt. Using a pastry blender, cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Make a well in center of flour mixture; set aside.

In a medium bowl combine eggs, 3/4 cup whipping cream, and currants. Add egg mixture all at once to flour mixture. Using a fork, stir just until moistened.

Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead dough by folding and gently pressing dough for 10 to 12 strokes or until dough is nearly smooth. Divide dough in half. Pat or lightly roll half of the dough into a 6-inch circle. Cut into 6 wedges. Repeat with remaining dough.

Place scones 2 inches apart on an ungreased baking sheet. Brush scones with whipping cream or milk and sprinkle with additional sugar. Bake for 12 to 14 minutes or until golden. Remove scones from baking sheet; serve warm.

Makes 12 scones

VARIATIONS:

Orange Scones: Prepare as above, except omit the currants or raisins and stir in 1-1/2 teaspoons finely shredded orange peel with the egg mixture. For icing, combine 1 cup powdered sugar, 1 tablespoon orange juice, and 1/4 teaspoon vanilla; stir in additional orange juice, 1 teaspoon at a time, to make drizzling consistency. Drizzle over scones.

Cherry Scones: Prepare as above, except omit the currants or raisins. In a small bowl pour enough boiling water over 1/2 cup snipped dried tart cherries to cover. Let stand for 5 minutes; drain well. Stir drained cherries and 1/4 teaspoon almond extract in with the egg mixture.

You could also search this board for my homemade lemon curd recipe, as lemon curd is wonderful on scones!

A government which robs Peter to
pay Paul can always depend on
the support of Paul.
-- George Bernard Shaw

Board footera