My Polka Dot Apron

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 1, 2019 10:33 pm  #1

Interesting pot pies

If you don't use pork it really doesn't matter, you can use any meat - - or no meat at all.  This is a versatile recipe, for sure, and can be tailored to your family's tastes.  My original family recipe for pot pies is very similar in some ways, very different in others. 

The pie crust recipe is interesting.  I'd never heard this before in all my years of cooking.  If someone tries it, post here and let us know how it turned out.

". . . this vodka pie crust is easy to work with and bakes up tender and flaky. Water combines with the proteins in flour and can make a pie crust tough if you use too much. Alcohol, on the other hand, doesn't combine with the proteins so you don't end up with tough, dry pastry."  Hmmm.  You'd think it would be the other way around!  And I don't own a food processor (never will) so I make my pie crusts by hand, always have.  I don't understand food processors - - - almost everything made in them has to be finished off by hand anyway, so why create another bunch of dishes to wash??  It's just easier to do it by hand and be done with it, IMPO.

Here's the recipe.  I wouldn't follow it exactly but close. I often use chicken or beef bouillon cubes in place of others sometimes called for in recipes.

https://www.thespruceeats.com/pork-pot-pie-romancing-the-leftovers-913124

A government which robs Peter to
pay Paul can always depend on
the support of Paul.
-- George Bernard Shaw

Board footera