My Polka Dot Apron

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 8, 2019 7:42 pm  #1

Arctic Raspberry

I've been looking for something almost exactly like this - - except I need it to grow in shaded areas, as well as sunny areas.  This article doesn't specifically say that shade wouldn't work, it just says that planting it in sunny areas is best. Lots of growing zones, not soil particular plants, and they don't require pruning.  Sounds good to me!

https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/edible/fruits/raspberry/arctic-raspberry-groundcover.htm

QUOTE FROM ARTICLE:

"The sun-loving arctic raspberry plant is extremely hardy and can be grown in USDA Hardiness zones 2 through 8. They do well in all types of soil and are naturally pest and disease resistant. The arctic raspberry plants die back in winter and they don’t require pruning like most types of cane berries."

I think it would make an interesting experience.  We are looking for something low-growing to fill in the area along the border fence of our yard. 

There is an area about 3 feet wide that originally had decorative rocks covering it, with wooden posts laid along the ground to separate the rocks from the lawn.  Well, enough time has passed now that we've owned this property for 20 years, so that the wood is rotting on those boards and the rocks are now developing weed patches where the black plastic under them is deteriorating or moving around or something. 

We did not like this feature of the yard when we moved in, but we left it that way for lack of better ideas.  Now we have no choice but to try to do something with it, and it might as well be something edible, even though the fruit production sounds pretty sparse.  At least it would be pretty!

A government which robs Peter to
pay Paul can always depend on
the support of Paul.
-- George Bernard Shaw

September 8, 2019 7:50 pm  #2

Re: Arctic Raspberry

It's been difficult to find something hardy to this growing zone that would come up year after year.  This stuff might just be my answer.  Will have to special order it in the early spring and get it into the ground asap.  We will be prepping the area to do this, later in the fall.  Hopefully, before the snow flies, but we are supposed to have a very early winter this year, cold spells to begin with and then snow in late Dec., all of Jan and most of Feb and March.  Then April will likely be a busy month around here!

A government which robs Peter to
pay Paul can always depend on
the support of Paul.
-- George Bernard Shaw

Board footera