My Polka Dot Apron

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 5, 2018 3:02 am  #1

Fun medicinal wine recipe, and 3 "go to" herbs for winter health use

This is some information I recently received from Nick Polizzi who is the host of Remedy: Ancient Medicine for Modern Illness, & Founder of The Sacred Science, which was a 9 part internet program I watched earlier this year (very valuable information there, too).

There was no link to post so I just copied the information for you from his newsletter (I hope I don't get into trouble!).  Good info here on winter health tips.  To tell you the truth, I'm not a real big wine drinker but the recipe below sounds a lot like something I might just try!

With the days getting shorter and the nights getting colder, it’s the perfect time to look inward and reflect on the ways we can keep our mind and body in vibrant health. Humankind has been living in harmony with the cycles and rhythms of the Earth since the dawn of time. Our ancestors weren’t able to simply turn up the heat in their homes or take a vacation to a warmer region. They adapted to the colder winter months through their keen observation of the natural world, which included using particular herbs to keep the body healthy.  

Today, I want to share 3 "go-to" winter herbs + a fun medicinal wine recipe that has been used for millennia to protect and nourish you during the cold months. 

Let’s start with the recipe!

There is a Nordic tradition that has lasted through the ages called mulled wine. It is widely practiced for all of its herbal benefits, plus its home and heart warming tastes. Mulled wine aka “Glogg” was created by the Scandinavians as a part of their Winter Solstice celebration. It spread across Europe and has become a staple of the holiday season, so I thought it would be fun to send you a recipe along with the healing constituents that are ladelled into every cup. There are hundreds of different versions, but I love this recipe from an old New York Times article (circa 1989)

Mulled Wine Recipe

Ingredients:
● 2 bottles dry red wine
● 1 bottle sweet white wine
● 1 lemon
● 1 orange
● 10 cloves
● 10 cardamom pods
● 3 cinnamon sticks
● 1 inch fresh ginger, thinly sliced
● 1 cup raisins
● 1 cup blanched almonds
● 1 cup raw sugar (or to taste)
● 1 tablespoon bitters (I assume they mean alcoholic bitters)
● 1 cup aquavit or vodka (optional)

Instructions:
1. Combine wines in a large saucepan. Using a vegetable peeler, remove the zest of citrus fruits. Squeeze fruits and add juice to wine. Tie up lemon peel, orange peel and spices in cheesecloth and add to wine. Add raisins, almonds and sugar.
2. Bring wine mixture to a boil. Reduce heat and gently simmer for 15 minutes, or until flavors are well blended and almonds are soft. Skim wine from time to time to remove any foam. Taste glogg and add sugar as necessary.
3. Just before serving, add bitters and aquavit or vodka. Ladle glogg into mugs or cups and provide each guest a spoon for eating the raisins and almonds.

Not only is this recipe delicious and guaranteed to please, it is absolutely packed with herbs that could benefit you during these harsher months ahead.

The 3 most impactful plants in this recipe are: ginger, cloves and cinnamon, which leads us perfectly into...

3 Delicious Winter Herbs And How To Take Them

1) Ginger - Ginger was first cultivated and studied in Asia, but soon became introduced to trading routes with Europe. This is a timeless herb that offers countless healing abilities and was regarded by our ancestors as a “heal all.” Ginger is potent, powerful and pungent -- the perfect herb to help you stay vibrant during the darkest nights of winter. It is considered to be warming to the body and has specific healing abilities that are very helpful this time of year, including:  fighting infection and flu symptoms like sore throat, chills, and congestion, combating pain and inflammation, calming and healing the digestive system.

Other than its spotlight in the Glogg recipe, there are numerous ways to incorporate ginger into your everyday life. Try easy things like: a decoction (strong tea made by boiling fresh root in water for an extended amount of time) adding it to cooking broth, seasonings or in baking

2) Cinnamon - Cinnamon is a pillar in Traditional Chinese Medicine that spread to Europe and Egypt. It was once valued as more precious than silver. But nowadays, it’s just another seasoning on the spice rack. Though cinnamon is usually thought of as a culinary herb, it is very medicinal.  Like ginger, cinnamon has the ability to get the blood flowing and warm you up quickly. This warming quality is the spearhead for the rest of cinnamon’s healing qualities. It also: fights pain and inflammation, promotes proper digestive flow.

Other amazing effects of using cinnamon are:  lower blood sugar, holistic oral care.  It is incredibly easy to integrate a healthy dose of cinnamon into your diet. Simple things like: drinking more chai tea, mixing some into your honey jar, brushing your teeth with powdered cinnamon.

3) Clove

Clove was originally grown on the Spice Islands of Indonesia but was popularized when China traded it with the western world. This powerful herb has rich volatile oils that: boost immunity by fighting bacteria, fungus and viruses, loosen up tight muscles, numb pain when applied topically, open up the lungs and loosen up mucus.  Clove is a very versatile herb that can be helpful to you in 3 different preparations: internally: brew a strong cup of chai tea, externally: make some massage oil. Aromatically: diffuse clove essential oil or boil cloves in a pot to humidify your home.

I hope you find a treasure trove of winter wellness in the the remedies above. Nothing warms the heart and lifts the spirit like the  powerful traditions of those who came before us.

A government which robs Peter to
pay Paul can always depend on
the support of Paul.
-- George Bernard Shaw

Board footera