My Polka Dot Apron

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 31, 2026 10:48 pm  #1


Scalloped potatoes & ham

Every recipe that popped up when I did a web search for a classic dish included cheese.  YUK!  The way they were made when I was growing up is a 9x9 pan, a layer of potatoes (thinly sliced) on the bottom.Then a layer of onion, a hefty sprinkling of flour, salt and pepper, then dotted with butter and then another identical layer until the pan is filled.  Then pour milk up to about 1/2 of the pan. Sprinkle the ham on top, cover with foil and bake 325 for about 1 hour or so, but you hafta keep checking the potatoes with a fork until they get as done as you like them. It's a simple one pan meal, I like it served with a lettuce salad or a bunch of french cut green beans.  You can add peas to the potatoes and ham if you don't mind the extra flavor after baking (I love it, personally) and I use fresh green peas that have to be shucked first.  Imagine I can get them from Walmart!  They are delicious!


A government which robs Peter to
pay Paul can always depend on
the support of Paul.
-- George Bernard Shaw
 

Board footera