My Polka Dot Apron

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 5, 2021 4:12 am  #1

Why are the jobs numbers so stark?

***  I didn't have a link to post for this, so I just had to copy and paste and hope it's ok with the writers.

We all need to ask ourselves a bigger question here, though, I think, whether we want to approach it or not. 

Maybe the jobs aren't filling up because men can't decide if they're men or women, and women can't decide if they're men - - or who they really WANNA be.  I know the whole thing sounds insane, but that's what we have going on in the USA right this moment.  And that makes a helluva difference in who wants or takes or will actually LOOK for a job.

We also have mega immigrants and I think biden thought those people would fill these job positions, rather than people who are actual citizens of the USA = = so what the hell does THAT tell you?  Those people coming into the country illegally don't want jobs, they want free money too.  Back up a little, SOME of them want jobs, but most of them are no different than any other human being - - they'll take something for nothing before they'll work for it, and that's just a BIDEN CREATED FACT NOW.

Here's the article from Breitbart news online:

June 04, 2021 Today's Top Stories From the Breitbart News Desk

Job growth fell short of expectations for the second month running in May. Forecasters had predicted the economy would gin up 671,000 jobs following the disappointing 266,000 in April. Instead, job growth came in at just 559,000. Even the slightly better than expected downtick in the unemployment rate to 5.8 percent, versus the 5.9 percent expected, was disappointing because it was rooted in a contraction of the labor force.

Prior to the release of the May figures, hopes were running high that perhaps last month's reading was wrong. The economy has been shifting violently for over a year, and it seemed plausible that there might have been some miscounting or undercounting. Can the Department of Labor accurately count businesses that are suddenly permitted to go from 25 percent capacity to 100 percent? But those hopes were largely dashed when the revision added just 12,000 jobs for April, and most of those were actually government jobs. Weirdly, the government quite frequently undercounts how many new government workers are hired in any given month.

Beyond the headline numbers on job growth and unemployment, Friday's data provided further evidence that the economy is afflicted not by a lack of demand for workers but a constraint on supply. Labor force participation shrank in May, ticking down from 61.7 percent to 61.6 percent. And it has been stuck near those levels since June of 2020, despite the reopening that should have been drawing workers back into jobs. Average hourly wages are rising at a swift rate, as are average work week hours. So businesses are paying more per hour and asking workers to work longer. In May, the average work week was 34.9 hours, close to the record of 35 hours set in January

Our favorite measure of supply constraint, however, is teenage unemployment. This hit the lowest level since 1953, as the Wall Street Journal's Real Time Economics newsletter pointed out. (Eddie Cochran's hit Summertime Blues was released five years later, when teenage unemployment had climbed to 16 percent). The share of teenagers working rose to 33.2 percent, the highest since 2008. That's great news if you are a teenager looking for work, but it also indicates an extreme tightness in the labor market. So why are so many employers turning to youngsters to fill jobs? Enhanced unemployment benefits. Teenagers are not being paid an extra $300 a week in unemployment benefits, so they are actually available to hire.The good news is that over 20 states have decided to end the $300 bonus in the coming weeks. That should restore supply to the labor market over the summer, which could lead to some very big upside surprises in the employment reports in July and August.

– Alex Marlow & John Carney
Breitbart News Ne
twork

A government which robs Peter to
pay Paul can always depend on
the support of Paul.
-- George Bernard Shaw

Board footera