My Polka Dot Apron

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 13, 2021 1:22 am  #1

Weather: This is pure BS

NO ONE knows what the weather is going to do until it does it.  Neither does the NWS or the Weather Channel or anyone else. 

https://www.lewrockwell.com/2021/03/no_author/potentially-historic-blizzard-to-hit-the-rockies-and-high-plains-this-weekend/

And more to the point, 2 feet of "predicted" snow is really no big deal.  Not in this area of the country it's not.  We just call 2 feet a "snowfall", we don't give it a name and all the rest of the hoo-rah.  If the wind is blowing 40-50 per, then we might get a bit concerned about outdoor animals but otherwise, they fend well for themselves as a rule, as long as someone keeps their water supply open (like breaking the ice on the water tanks or the local streams where they access their water).

How come NONE of these articles ever mention several historic snowfalls we've had here in SD???  We've had several, the most recent of which was Winter Storm Atlas back in 2013.  In my area we received upwards of 35+ inches of snow.  We were without power for 5 1/2 days where I live.  No big deal, right?

Also, a GREAT portion of the map (at NWS) includes Nebraska but NE is never mentioned ONCE in the article.  Not once.

To tell you the honest truth, most people who live in this area didn't really think much of that storm in 2013.  We've had much much much worse storms than that.  A couple of those storms didn't even have names and lots and lots of cattle were lost in some of the more recent, unnamed storms.  Again, I guess that was no bid deal - - to anyone except the rancher who lost them.

You know who casued all the damage in 2013? 

The local power companies (who also made billions of dollars off the storm, in the meantime).  In order to restore power to our home, they broke off two newly planted trees in our yard, and destroyed about 10 or 12 feet of our chain link fencing.  We've never been reimbursed and I don't expect we ever will be.  Do you know how we were repaid?  Our electric bill went sky high, and are still rising today.  Imagine that.

But  - - - stay tuned for updates.  We shall see what we shall see, as my Mom used to say.

A government which robs Peter to
pay Paul can always depend on
the support of Paul.
-- George Bernard Shaw

March 13, 2021 1:35 am  #2

Re: Weather: This is pure BS

Another map to see:

https://www.zerohedge.com/weather/denver-prepares-biggest-snowstorm-more-century

Boy, they're trying hard to scare the crap out of everyone!  2 feet of snow is nothing, believe me.  But this is the map I mentioned above where they cover a great portion of Nebraska and yet never once is NE mentioned in any of the stories I've read.  And THESE ARE STORIES. 

the support of Paul.
-- George Bernard Shaw

March 13, 2021 1:57 am  #3

Re: Weather: This is pure BS

Back in the mid to late 1950's we had some whopper storms in my hometown.  I remember my twin brothers were about 15 or 16 and they built "snow tunnels" in our front yard.  It could have been dangerous but no one thought about it back then.  In fact, we got to school through those snow tunnels and stayed quite warm because we were able to avoid the ferocious winds.

We ice skated and sledded and built snow forts out of blocks of snow we "crafted" - - kidz didn't get "bored" back then, we found all kinds of ways to stay occupied without a computer or a phone jammed into our faces.  I feel really sorry for kids today who will NEVER know the freedoms we knew.  The 50's really were the best of times to be alive and growing up.

the support of Paul.
-- George Bernard Shaw

Board footera