My Polka Dot Apron

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 5, 2020 9:53 pm  #1

LET'S UNDO THE PATRIOT ACT

It wasn't meant to do us any good (and it surely didn't) which is why the senators were allowed such a short amount of time to review it.  This was one of GWB's first "take-over" moves to be put in place for the future.  Well, guess what folks??? THE FUTURE IS HERE.

BUT - - "a section of the Patriot Act will expire on March 15, (I assume they are speaking of the year of our Lord 2020 but the article doesn't specifically name that date) and many congressional liberals and libertarians — even a few conservatives still bruised at the governmental surveillance of candidate Donald Trump in 2016 — have been contemplating structural changes to this pernicious law.Section 215 — which is about to expire — is as fatal to freedom as is section 505. It permits designated federal judges to issue general warrants based on the old writs of assistance standard of governmental need. One of those judges signed a search warrant for the telephone records of all Verizon customers in the U.S. — at the time, 115 million of them.Both 215 and 505 are weapons of mass surveillance and should be repealed. They are instruments of a totalitarian government, not of free people. They defy the Constitution. They presume that our rights are not natural but come from a government that can take them back. Mass surveillance produces a state that knows more about us than we do about it — one that will slowly consume our freedoms in the name of governmental needs. It already has."

"After 9/11, the George W. Bush administration offered the Patriot Act to Congress. It was crafted in secrecy and enacted in infidelity to the Constitution. Members of the House of Representatives had 15 minutes to read is 300+ pages and no time for serious floor debate. The one senator who spoke out against it was driven from office."

*** That senator was Russ Feingold (D-Wisc).  This is a GREAT article about it, showing the pathological part of the republican party at that time.  It's worse now . . . ! 

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/russ-feingold-patriot-act-speech_n_3402878

Quotes above are taken from this link: 

https://www.lewrockwell.com/2020/03/andrew-p-napolitano/repeal-the-patriot-act/

This article was written by Judge Andrew Napolitano, of whom I USED to be a big fan, but when he did a switcheroo to the dem party a few years ago, he lost me.  He did write this one article with which I agree.  Maybe he's going to get his head on straight again and leave the "loser party".  Who knows.

A government which robs Peter to
pay Paul can always depend on
the support of Paul.
-- George Bernard Shaw

March 5, 2020 11:15 pm  #2

Re: LET'S UNDO THE PATRIOT ACT

This link will provide you with a copy of the letter written to CONgress by then-senator Russ Feingold, the ONLY senator to vote against the patriot act.  (The two goons from my state certainly weren't using their heads, but Daschle was certainly using his wallet, that we all now know).

What a creep.  Glad he's gone.

https://epic.org/privacy/terrorism/usapatriot/feingold.html

A government which robs Peter to
pay Paul can always depend on
the support of Paul.
-- George Bernard Shaw

Board footera