My Polka Dot Apron

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 5, 2020 12:32 am  #1

3 great-tasting herbs for winter health

I'm not real keen on ginger (unless it's in gingerbread) but I could make it work!  In fact, I'd mix all three of these spices together once in a while and put them into my coffee or tea.  I don't really like tea very well (haven't found one yet that is as satisfying as coffee) but I do drink it occasionally. 

There was no "link" for this information so I just copied the information itself. 

Humankind has been living in harmony with the cycles and rhythms of the Earth since the dawn of time. Our ancestors weren't able to simply turn up the heat in their homes or take a vacation to a warmer region. =16pxThey adapted to the colder winter months through their keen observation of the natural world, which included using particular herbs to keep the body healthy.

Today, I want to share 3 "go-to" winter herbs that have been used for millennia to protect and nourish you during the cold months.

3 Delicious Winter Herbs And How To Take Them

1) Ginger  -  Ginger was first cultivated and studied in Asia, but soon became introduced to trading routes with Europe. This is a timeless herb that offers countless healing abilities and was regarded by our ancestors as a "heal all." Ginger is potent, powerful and pungent -- the perfect herb to help you stay vibrant during the darkest nights of winter. It is considered to be warming to the body and has specific healing abilities that are very helpful this time of year, including:

• Fighting infection and flu symptoms like sore throat, chills, and congestion
  • Combating pain and inflammation
  • Calming and healing the digestive system

There are numerous ways to incorporate ginger into your everyday life. Try easy things like:

• A decoction (strong tea made by boiling fresh root in water for an extended amount of time)
  • Adding it to cooking broth, seasonings or in baking

2) Cinnamon - - Cinnamon is a pillar in Traditional Chinese Medicine that spread to Europe and Egypt. It was once valued as more precious than silver. But nowadays, it's just another seasoning on the spice rack. Though cinnamon is usually thought of as a culinary herb, it is very medicinal.  Like ginger, cinnamon has the ability to get the blood flowing and warm you up quickly. This warming quality is the spearhead for the rest of cinnamon's healing qualities. It also:

• Fights pain and inflammation
  • Promotes proper digestive flow

Other amazing effects of using cinnamon are:

• Lower blood sugar
  • Holistic oral care

It is incredibly easy to integrate a healthy dose of cinnamon into your diet. Simple things like:

• Drinking more chai tea
  • Mixing some into your honey jar
  • Brushing your teeth with powdered cinnamon

3) Clove - - Clove was originally grown on the Spice Islands of Indonesia but was popularized when China traded it with the western world.  This powerful herb has rich volatile oils that:

• Boost immunity by fighting bacteria, fungus and viruses
  • Loosen up tight muscles
  • Numb pain when applied topically
  • Open up the lungs and loosen up mucus

Clove is a very versatile herb that can be helpful to you in 3 different preparations:

• Internally: brew a strong cup of chai tea
  • Externally: make some massage oil
  • Aromatically: diffuse clove essential oil or boil cloves in a pot to humidify your home

I hope you find a treasure trove of winter wellness in the remedies above. Nothing warms the heart and lifts the spirit like the powerful traditions of those who came before us. 

Stay curious,
Nick Polizzi
Host of Remedy: Ancient Medicine for Modern Illness
& Founder of The Sacred Science

A government which robs Peter to
pay Paul can always depend on
the support of Paul.
-- George Bernard Shaw

Board footera