My Polka Dot Apron

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 21, 2019 10:09 pm  #1

Signs of a hard winter

https://www.farmersalmanac.com/20-signs-of-a-hard-winter-479

We already have halos around the moon, we've had early morning thick, dense fogs for 2 weeks already, and the spiders are nesting (actually NESTING) in the evergreen trees in the back yard.  The squirrels hoard nuts and stuff all year long around here and they bury them and then cannot find them because squirrels are kinda dumb!  I've never even laid eyes on one of those furry black and orange things (which is fine by me) but we have other crawly things making early homes under rocks, broken tree limbs, etc.  Luckily the outside of our home is made of cedar and few things bother it, except we just had it stained last summer (cost us over $4,000) and the rain we've had all summer has already washed most of the stain off already.  It was supposed to be a "sealer/stain" but if it was it didn't work very well.  The guy who did the staining for us is coming back early next spring, as soon as possible that is, to restain the south side for free.  The sun and the rain have literally taken it back to the same condition it was in before we had it stained to begin with.  What a downer!

This is a good article to look over, though, and depending on the part of the country where you live, lots of these things are probably happening already.  Get your winter gear ready NOW.  I'm already crocheting earbands like crazy, because I donate them to the children's home, to the local Mission (for the poor), and to the church.  A bunch of ladies at the church also spend the spring/summer/early fall months making quilts to donate to places where it gets really cold, through the churches in their area.  In turn, they send us something native to their area.  One year our church got a whole bunch of bear grease from Alaska (I think it was a joke but no one thought it was too funny!!).  Oh well.

A government which robs Peter to
pay Paul can always depend on
the support of Paul.
-- George Bernard Shaw

Board footera