My Polka Dot Apron

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 19, 2019 9:58 pm  #1

People misjudge certain historical incidents

I don't know where this Melissa Sue Halverson got her information, but this paragraph contains more boo-boo's than I can shake a stick at.  In fact, I clicked on the link to her "essay" and about 98% of the whole thing is just plain garbage. 

I'm here to tell people that if you do not get your information directly from a tribal member (and ALL tribes were different, don't forget) you are basically being fed a line of crap that the GUBMINT wants you to believe (or buy into, as I always phrase it). 

Here's the quote from the article at the link below:

"In an essay for the Early America Review, Melissa Sue Halverson brought up the fact that the Injuns’ treatment for smallpox—sweat lodges and the ingestion of emetic and cathartic herbs—greatly exacerbated the disease, as did the traditional post-sweat-lodge ritual of bathing in cold water, which damaged already-weakened immune systems (not to mention befouling the local water supply with runoff from pustules and sores). "

LINK:  https://www.takimag.com/article/genocidal-pilgrims/

WAIT - - WHAT???  In the first place, sweat lodges were not - NOT USED - for illnesses.  They just weren't.  They were used for certain ceremonial celebrations (cord ceremonies, boy-to-man ceremonies, etc).  These people also did NOT bathe in cold water - ever.  The European Indian people might have, but not the tribes of "Native Injuns" here in the USA.  In fact, local Indian tribes would go miles out of their way to find "HOT SPRINGS" but again, these folks avoided heat when illness was present and would never have immersed themselves in *sacred waters* when they were sick or "poisoned" as they called it.  Many of these tribes settled around the areas of the hot springs during the winter months.  In my area of the country the hot springs scattered throughout the landscape also were very near the wandering herds of buffalo, elk, deer, rabbits, etc.  Hunting was much easier in the winter than in the summer, too (easier to track animals when there are hoof/foot/paw prints to follow, right?!

It's just a plain fact that Ms. Halvorsen doesn't know diddly about this subject.. A sad element missing from most of *journalism and science* today is truth. Science is generally bogus and for sale, to boot. In fact, I'd be willing to bet she's never talked with a real live "Injun" in her entire life. 

I live in an area where there are many of them (different tribes) and have talked with the elders from several local tribes in ND, SD, MT, WY, ID, UT, NE, CO and NM, over the past 30+ years.  They tell a much different story about how diseases were spread and dealt with. A lot of it depended on how many women were in the tribes, what time of year it was, what local herbs, berries, barks, etc., were readily available.  These people were nomadic (usually) and so their access to different medicinal foods and herbs changed significantly from month to month, sometimes day to day.  Another "fact" she has wrong is that Injuns were not "farmers".  They never tilled the soil, ever, until the white men put them on reservations and made them do things abhorrent to their natural instincts.

No sir.  She doesn't have any "facts" at all.  I give the whole damned thing an F.

A government which robs Peter to
pay Paul can always depend on
the support of Paul.
-- George Bernard Shaw

Board footera