My Polka Dot Apron

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 1, 2018 12:51 am  #1

Housing

Homes are just one of the subjects covered in this article, but it brought some thoughts to my mind when I read this:
"Average American house sizes have more than doubled since the 1950s, from about 1,000 square feet to about 2,500 square feet."

Yeah, but most or all of that "extra space" is wasted on *floor space*.   Who can afford that much furniture?  And who wants to pay for a bunch of furniture no one uses very often because most family members are gone from the house an average of 10-12 hours per day or more.

I've been in and lived in many houses built in the 40's and 50's (most of them were from the Sears catalog and you built them yourself) and back then closet space was huge and every home had a huge huge huge linen closet on the main floor and one on the 2nd floor, where the bedrooms and a bathroom were located.  The kitchens were all about cupboard space and pantry shelves, etc.

Nowadays, a house has absolutely no kitchen space at all, no countertop space and hardly any cupboards - - but that could be because very few people cook REAL FOOD anymore.  Everything is brought home already cooked (fast food) or else it's frozen entrees or meals where all that has to be done is boil some water.  No wonder they don't need cupboards.

I totally prefer OLD houses for many reasons, because even if they need updating of plumbing and/or electrical, they are still well worth purchasing.  They are built much better than the stick houses from the mid-70's on up to today where the "contractors" throw a house together in 2 weeks.  The first good wind makes you feel like one of the 3 pigs - the one who built his house of haystraw and the one who built his house of sticks.  I prefer brick homes for many reasons.

https://www.americanthinker.com/blog/2018/11/six_quick_questions_for_progressives.html

A government which robs Peter to
pay Paul can always depend on
the support of Paul.
-- George Bernard Shaw

Board footera