My Polka Dot Apron

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 9, 2023 11:55 pm  #1

Country life: How do the Amish dry clothes in the winter?

Same way my Mom used to do it when there were more clothes to be washed and the electric dryer was far too slow to keep up (apparently dryers didn't get as hot as they do now, heck sometimes my dryer gets so hot it feels like the clothes would start a fire).  It's kinda scary, actually.  But for the past 25 years or so I've been doing what my Mom did.  She had an outdoor line much like the Amish people used, with a T shaped pole at the far end and a pulley attached to the house so she could adjust the height off the ground and so she could just pull the clothes right up to the back door and take them off the line.  Easy peasy, same way I do it now.  I had to take my outdoor line down a couple of years ago because the squirrels were eating the rope and because they were pooping everywhere, just like the birds from the neighbors ENDLESS amount of birdfeeders attracting far too many huge blackbird type critters.  I paid a handyman last spring to restring it for me with stronger clothesline rope and to put the T pole in a different spot so that the birds wouldn't be as attracted to it.  I thought birds were colorblind but they sure were attracted to the most colorful clothes on my line and pooped all over them, then I'd have to start over.  When the water bill from re-washing things over and over kinda sorta got out of control, my DH said no more outside liine drying.  OK then.  But since he's been gone I put it back up.  I only use it in the summer months, however, because I just don't tolerate the cold since the stroke I suffered, and by the time I get all the clothes off the line my hands are frozen.  Also, I'm running out of room to lay the clothes until they "thaw".

But this is really interesting reading, you'll enjoy a break from the tangle of crap we get everyday on the tv news. The pictures are soothing to look at, too.  I love to follow Amish & Mennonite Traditions. 

https://www.amish365.com/amish-dry-laundry-in-winter/

A government which robs Peter to
pay Paul can always depend on
the support of Paul.
-- George Bernard Shaw

Board footera