My Polka Dot Apron

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 13, 2022 12:45 am  #1

Lakota (Sioux) Moon names for all 12 months

Theirs probably make more sense than the names given to the different moons by the white people.

January - Moon of Hard Times
February - Moon of Popping Trees
March - Moon of Snow Blindness
April - Moon of Fattening (I'm assuming this meant both beasts and mankind, after a long, cold, winter when food was not always readily available.  If you've read Farmer Boy by Laura Ingalls Wilder, this will make more sense to you.  It also has to do with female animals who are fat and about to give birth.  **You'll notice I said "female animals" because in the animal kingdom males do NOT give birth or have artificial boobs and wombs implanted.  It's too bad mankind of today isn't that smart.  It is something many are going to live to regret.
May - Moon of Green Leaves
June - Moon of Good Berries
July - Moon of Chokecherries blackening/darkening (and increasing in flavor and juices)
August - Moon of Harvest
September - Moon of Brown Leaves
October - Moon of Falling Leaves
November - Moon of Winter
December - Moon of Shedding Horns

I am Swedish and not even CLOSE to being of American Indian heritage, but I've grown up with many of them in my hometown, and their dwindling heritage is fascinating.  If you are ever looking for a project and can't decide what to learn about next (stay OUT of politics!!!) pick up a primer of some kind on American Indians.  Their culture is fascinating.  Seriously. 

I donate every year only to local charities and organizations, I never give money online.  Never.  I don't care how good their intentions are, the money donated online never seems to end up where it's supposed to go.  So I donate to local things where I can write a check and send it to them, no credit cards involved.  I still also give to the Shriners Hospital for Children (through the mail, of course) because my Dad was a member of the Shriner's organization for over 50 years.  When he passed away the local Shriner's/Yeldez organization in my hometown honored him at his funeral and gave a plaque (which I still have) to my Mother at the funeral in his honor for so many years of service.  I don't think he ever missed a meeting even if it meant he had to leave the ranch early to come home and get cleaned up, shaved and into his suit and tie!  He was very fussy about things like that.  The men who served with him in the legislature also honored his service to the Shriner's at a special ceremony at the State Capitol building (he served with Lars Herseth and some other "famous" names from this area), attended by all our family members who were still in the area at that time (late 1950's).  My Dad was born in December 1912.

A government which robs Peter to
pay Paul can always depend on
the support of Paul.
-- George Bernard Shaw

December 15, 2022 10:01 pm  #2

Re: Lakota (Sioux) Moon names for all 12 months

My Dad would be sickened by what ol' joe biden is doing to America today.  Especially since biden CLAIMS to be a democrap.  He's more like a foreigh agent than a democrap, for sure.

Dad would be especially sickened to hear what biden is doing to the meat-raising and farming industry.  But what he's doing to the fuel industry is the worst for a country the size of America, which is going to double quickly under biden's reckless border NON-CONTROL.  He looks the other way because he's too empty-headed to know what to do about the problem and no one who "works" for him has any idea either - - without resurrecting the Trump policies that were working, and they'll NEVER DO THAT.  Too bad they're so full of themselves.  And believe me, they've got money, so their policies are really only going to affect middle income people.  That's their plan??!!  Good grief.  That's not a plan it's a disaster waiting to happen.

A government which robs Peter to
pay Paul can always depend on
the support of Paul.
-- George Bernard Shaw

Board footera