My Polka Dot Apron

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 8, 2017 12:42 am  #1

Buttermilk Strawberry pops

If you want to have a treat with very little sugar, try these. This is an ancient recipe, I think! Everyone used to make these when I was a kid because when our Mom's found out how much sugar was TRULY in jello, they avoided it as much as possible (remember all those jello salads with a bit of fruit and a ton of marshmallows in them. Talk about a sugar high!!).  **Incidentally though, I do not remember myself or anyone else ever being classified as "hyper" nor do I remember anyone being over-active in any way.  Personally, I think it's wrong to give names to things having to do with children.  Not all children are the same, not all have the same energy level and not all have the same personality.  Of course the word hyper wasn't even on the radar when I was a kid because they didn't label us - - which was a very smart idea.  Now that psychiatrists and psychologists have to earn a living, they are classifying everything kids do as a behavior disorder of some sort so they can put kids on two or three pills, which gets them in good with BigphRMa.  Psychiatry is the biggest and most harmful scam since the beginning of time.**

This has no jello and just a smidgen of sugar. The rest of the sweetness comes naturally from the strawberries.

You can use fresh strawberries but they're a hassle and it takes more (like 2 lbs of fresh vs 1 pound of frozen). I'm not sure why!

Here's how I made them yesterday for my grands as a treat for the 4th of July picnic.

1/4 or so cup sugar
1/4 cup or a bit more filtered water
1 pound bag frozen strawberries or 1 1/2 to 2 pounds fresh
1/2 cup buttermilk, plus an extra glug from the container because a lot of the buttermilk stays in the measuring cup

Put the sugar in the bottom of the blender and add the water to sort of melt the sugar. Let set for about 3 - 5 minutes. Add strawberries and buttermilk and pulse or blend until you like the texture.

Pour into 3 oz containers, add popsicle sticks, and freeze.

**I used those plastic 2-3 oz Glad containers and just put the tops on without sticks. I have a hard time putting things in my "freezer on the bottom" fridge because when it slams shut (and they all do) everything spills. So rather than using sticks, I just put the blue plastic tops on and froze them. The kids ate them with spoons after I let them thaw for just a few minutes (it was really hot here yesterday so it didn't take long for them to begin to thaw once the kids took them outside).

The verdict was that the kids thought they were delicious. I agree!

***Also, I have, in the past, used those 2 oz bathroom cups for this recipe, and I just lined them with an el cheapo fold-lock top plastic bag and then poured in the "batter". After they were frozen partially, I stuck in a popsicle stick. That was when we had our old side by side fridge/freezer and I set the cups on a plate on one of the freezer shelves that I'd cleared just for this project. That worked well, too.

Last edited by Debrah (August 11, 2017 8:31 pm)

A government which robs Peter to
pay Paul can always depend on
the support of Paul.
-- George Bernard Shaw

Board footera