My Polka Dot Apron

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 28, 2021 8:39 am  #1

Read this book

Sounds fascinating and it's up next on my list of books to order.

https://bookshop.org/books/driftless-9781571310682/9781571310682

QUOTE FROM THE BOOK:

“Frankly,” said July, “I don’t give a damn about civilization, dying or otherwise. The only reason we have a civilization is that hardly anyone pays attention to it. Most of us live without trying to change anything. We’re content with more important, private things. Myself, I like to farm. If there were something I’d rather be doing, I’d do that. I like farming. I like being outdoors, growing things and feeding animals. I like it. I farm to be farming.”

“The tyranny of kings would never have been overthrown without people standing up,” said Moe.

“Tyranny still exists. No, my friend, most of the people in this room feel just like I do. We’re not here to solve big problems, and we don’t really believe in the idea of solving big problems because of the bigger problems that come out of it. We’re here to figure out a way to keep farming. The gentleman who spoke before you–he wants me to sign a petition. That’s easy enough, so I’ll sign it. But you want me to do something else with my life and I simply don’t have time for that. As I said before, I like farming. I like going to county fairs, listening to music, and eating my neighbor’s pies. None of that involves fighting with anyone.”

A government which robs Peter to
pay Paul can always depend on
the support of Paul.
-- George Bernard Shaw

Board footera