My Polka Dot Apron

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 4, 2020 10:09 pm  #1

What is the difference between frozen treats?

I knew there were different types, I just didn't realize what the differences were!  I'm used to homemade ice cream, or frozen milk treats. 

We grew up on those.  Ice cream is the only frozen treat on this list which contain eggs.  I'm having a devil of a time finding an old-fashioned ice cream freezer (the hand-crank kind) so my DH and I bought an electric one.  Used it once, threw it away.  It didn't make ice cream it made butter.  So, for now, I'm making frozen sweetened cream (which we call ice milk) by using just cream or 1/2 and 1/2 from the health food store (not the junk from the grocery store which contains all kinds of stuff OTHER than the dairy product we were searching for), a bit of vanilla extract (I make mine from pure grain alcohol with 2 or 3 vanilla beans soaked for over a year in the alcohol - - so start ahead!) and a bit of sugar stirred together. 

I then put it into a glass or thin stainless steel bowl, set it into the bottom freezer on our fridge (you must close the door very carefully or it'll slop all over the place because these appliances are not designed for delicacy).  About every 1/2 an hour, stir the contents of the bowl and go for another 30 minutes.  Stir again and if you want it thicker, you can just freeze it in 15-20 minute intervals.  You will want to eat all that you make in one recipe, or you'll have to put it into a container with a lid to continue to store it longer or it will freezer burn.  Ours doesn't last around here because I make small batches at a time (about 3 cups of finished product). 

That's it.  Heavy cream from the health food store is getting very expensive, so I also buy
a container of 1/2 and 1/2 and mix them together so it's not nearly as creamy as we like it but things are just too expensive now.  The real cream (from Kalona) is very good but costs about 3 times the amount it did back in January of 2020.  I have no idea who's making the profit because I doubt very much the Amish dairy where it originates is pocketing the extra money being made off its product - - and that's a damned shame.  I don't mind the health food store making a profit but I don't think THEY'RE the ones making the "extra money" either.  There's a middle man who's making a killing off the profits here, we all know that.  It's the truly sad part of the story.

So, to recap: glass or stainless steel bowl, real cream or 1/2 and 1/2 with the fewest preservatives you can locate, vanilla, sugar, maybe a dash of milk if you wish to stretch the amount a bit further.  That's all you need besides room in your freezer!  You could add fruit or chocolate or something after it's frozen a bit (but you can still stir it) but I always wait and add the flavors as "toppings" rather than ingredients.

https://www.realsimple.com/food-recipes/recipe-collections-favorites/desserts/ice-cream-gelato-sorbet

** As you scroll on this page, there are a few other recipe ideas for things, but I am not interested in making desserts out of boxed cake mixes and junk.  Nothing "homemade" about that, is there? 

A government which robs Peter to
pay Paul can always depend on
the support of Paul.
-- George Bernard Shaw

Board footera