My Polka Dot Apron

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 17, 2020 11:38 pm  #1

Clorox bleach soak for foods

SOMETHING FROM MY FOOD ARCHIVES: 

This is something I've been doing for a looooong time.  When I first mention it to people they look at me real strangely, but once I explain it they almost always come on board with the idea and start doing it themselves.  Today's food supply (even the organic stuff) can be downright filthy when you buy it.  Filthy with stuff you can't even see.

Clorox bleach is the only way I know to help that situation.  You don't hafta overdo it, just follow the instructions below.  I mostly use the bleach water for leafy green veggies like different types of lettuce, fresh parsley, etc.  It's not like you can use a food-brush to clean those!

Here's the instructions the way I used them starting back in early 2002 when I began using the Fat Flush WOE (way of eating, for those of you who aren't up on your abbreviations!!)

I soak all of my leafy stuff in a new, clean basin used only for this purpose. Fill with purified water - we have a Doulton Water Filtering system but you can boil water, let it cool and use that, or you can buy a gallon of purified water, if you trust the source, & (BE SURE TO ADD ICE TO THE WATER WHEN SOAKING LEAFY GREENS), and then I add about 1/4 to 1/2 tsp regular clorox bleach, depending on the size and amount of what I'm treating, soak for about 5 min, rinse out the basin, fill again with pure water and soak the leafy stuff for about 5-10 min.  Been doing it this way for years. 

For other produce, like squash, zucchini, radishes, tomatoes, etc., I usually use the basin and white vinegar to clean.  Follow same amounts and procedures listed above (you can use more vinegar if you want to, but make sure it's white vinegar or the ACV (apple cider vinegar) might give your foods an "off" taste, especially if you're using a strong ACV like Braggs (and that's all I ever buy).

Hope this helps you in the coming months and years to clean up your food act. 

A government which robs Peter to
pay Paul can always depend on
the support of Paul.
-- George Bernard Shaw

Board footera