My Polka Dot Apron

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 8, 2020 11:48 pm  #1

Gardening ideas for small spaces

I don't like the idea of "vertical gardening" but I don't have the space for it, either.  We have a lovely wooden fence, very long, would be perfect for it, but between the birds from the neighbors feeders and the squirrels that use our fence as a "roadway" to get from one side of our wide, large yard to the street (they like to cross to the opposite side of the street to collect walnuts off the neighbors tree) it would be impossible.  They would wipe out a garden before it even had a chance to bloom.  Believe me, I know because I've tried it in the past and those critters actually eat the seeds before they get a chance to bloom.  If you plant already established produce, they eat the leaves, the vines and the "fruit" of whatever is planted (from tomatoes to pumpkins to zucchini).  It makes no difference to them, they eat everything in sight and then some.

I do have planters on my deck, which I try to keep covered with netting but it's not always a success either. 

Nevertheless, you might not face the same obstacles in your area as I do here in the Black Hills where allllll kinds of wildlife is rampant.  We live in a cedar home and there is no way my husband would allow me to nail up any kind of boards to grow plants on the side of the house.  He'd clobber me!

Anyway, some of these ideas might be useful where YOU live.  All we have to do this year is hope we can gain access to the seeds (I use organic seeds only, and I buy them from My Patriot Supply).  I have not checked with them this year to see if they have anything in stock, however.  Those are great to buy because the seeds come in foil packets and are guaranteed to last up to 5 years in case you aren't able to plant them right away.  That's what happened to me last year because of the timing of the stroke I had in late March/early April.  I'm absolutely fine now (except my vision is a bit impaired in my right eye) but I still love to be messing around outdoors in the dirt!

Check it out.

https://www.farmersalmanac.com/small-space-gardening-ideas-34492

A government which robs Peter to
pay Paul can always depend on
the support of Paul.
-- George Bernard Shaw

April 9, 2020 12:09 am  #2

Re: Gardening ideas for small spaces

Here's a few more ideas.  Some of them are really cute, too, even if not very practical depending on where you live.

https://www.farmersalmanac.com/unusual-container-gardening-ideas-31914

A government which robs Peter to
pay Paul can always depend on
the support of Paul.
-- George Bernard Shaw

Board footera