My Polka Dot Apron

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 25, 2019 8:28 am  #1

City life, town life

This is a good article, although kinda long, but for me it had meaning because I grew up in a very small town.  Now I live in a larger town, but still small compared to what a real "city" is supposed to be - population wise.  Our city includes also an Air Force Base (without the base the population is around 80,000).

The only thing this artlcle doesn't point out is that when the older buildings deteriorate and fall down, the new ones they're building, even today, look like they came out of a cookie box as the toy prize.  They are downright ugly and have no personality whatsoever.  The buildings in my small hometown, when I was growing up in the 50's, now those had real character.  Most of them, believe it or not, are still standing and look much the same except a couple of them have replaced the windows which all resemble prison windows if you ask me.  Yuk. 

The big town where I live now has recently started moving all the car dealerships to the very outskirts of town and every single dealership looks exactly the same - - like something that was built for use in Iran.  They're so damned ugly it's pitiful, and without a sign to tell you which business is which, you'd honestly never know.  It's disgraceful that our society doesn't have more imagination than the crap they're putting out now (which includes the ugly "cars" they sell - they don't even look like cars, they look like robotic cars produced on an assembly line, just with different "model and make" names).

Mostly, a good article and if you're not from a small town or didn't grow up in a small town, you probably aren't going to get it . . . . . . . .

https://www.lewrockwell.com/2019/12/james-howard-kunstler/christmas-in-flyover-land/

A government which robs Peter to
pay Paul can always depend on
the support of Paul.
-- George Bernard Shaw

Board footera