My Polka Dot Apron

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 17, 2019 12:27 am  #1

Glorified rice the way my MOM made it

Her stuff was always just the best.  My 2 gramma's were outstanding cooks, as well. They all made it the same way, so forego the "marshmallows and marischino cherries and junk" that are called for in a lot of today's "REDONE" recipes.  That's just too much sweet, sugary crap no one needs. Besides, the point is to taste the whipped cream and the cinnamon, mixed with the rice.

If there was cooked rice left over, my Mom would let us eat it cold the next day, with cream or milk and just a dash of cinnamon and sugar - - that was like breakfast cereal to us kids back then!  We loved it.

Here's the recipe:

Ingredients

• 2 cups cooked chilled rice that was cooked in water, or lightly salted water, only. (1 cup raw) usually white rice
  • ¼ cup sugar
  • 1 (20 ounce) can of crushed pineapple, undrained
  • 8 ounces heavy cream, whipped (use real whipping cream with sugar and cinnamon and vanilla added)
  • sprinkle top of finished dish with cinnamon (don't overdo)

• Place cold, cooked white rice in a large mixing bowl and sprinkle with sugar
  • Add pineapple to bowl and stir until well combined.
  • Fold in cream.

*****This might be good with brown rice, but the cooking time takes longer so you'd have to keep that in mind.  ^^^^  BE SURE TO CHILL THE RICE AFTER IT'S COOKED, RINSED, AND DRAINED.

A government which robs Peter to
pay Paul can always depend on
the support of Paul.
-- George Bernard Shaw

Board footera