My Polka Dot Apron

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 3, 2017 10:11 pm  #1

BEST French Dip Sandwiches - EVER!

This is one of the best recipes I've ever found, and I can't remember where I got it. I think from the recipe section at COUNTRY magazine (before they had Taste of Home). I do NOT use a grass-fed roast for this recipe because it never gets tender enough. You can roast it until the last dog dies, but it won't be tender enough to fork-shred, believe me I've tried. So, for this one recipe we purchase a store-bought, water-laden roast. I know - sacrilege!!

FRENCH DIP SANDWICHES

1 lean beef rump or eye roast (3 to 4 pounds)
1/2 cup soy sauce or tamari
1 beef bouillon cube
1 bay leaf (I use two sometimes; imparts a nice flavor)
3 to 4 whole peppercorns
1 tsp dried, crushed rosemary
1 tsp dried thyme
1 tsp garlic powder
hard rolls, french bread or hoagie buns

Remove and discard all visible fat from roast. Leave a little because it's good for you, but too much fat will make the au jus greasy and that's not what we're going for here!

Place in a small roasting pan. Combine soy sauce, bouillon and spices; pour over roast. Add water to almost cover roast, cover and cook on low heat for about 6-8 hours in a slow oven. Remove meat from broth; reserve broth; shred meat with a fork and serve on hard rolls or whatever. Yields about 12 sandwiches.

** Someone told me this can be done in a slow cooker, but I can't imagine how that would be other than mushy and not really "roasted". I use my oven because I like browned, roasted meat.

A government which robs Peter to
pay Paul can always depend on
the support of Paul.
-- George Bernard Shaw

Board footera