My Polka Dot Apron

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 29, 2024 8:51 pm  #1

Labor Day side dish recipes

I actually think all of these recipes came directly from this site to begin with.  I think I am the only person in the world who likes dill pickles in their potato salad, and bacon in my 3 Bean baked beans.  I detest grilled corn but I still posted a recipe for the best way to do it.   One of my favorite summer meals is "tin foil packet dinners" and the best part about those is the carrots.  My grandbabies love to make these, they are fun to do!

I also have a recipe (simple one) for baked carrots that I make during the winter months when I can have my oven going for warmth.  It's just peeled, sliced lengthwise carrot pieces about 2 or 3 inches long in a ceramic oven dish, covered with chicken broth that I make from Wyler's chicken bouillon cubes and then right before they're done baking I sprinkle the top of the carrots with chives.  Those are just delicious and were one of my husband's favorites.  We both loved carrots, especially oven baked.

https://makeyourmeals.com/labor-day-side-dish-recipes/?sh_kit=ac8fe51c54b3a1cc68c5502932751fd95db46682c77236be6b7753dae1326f41

But check these out.  I do not use an instant pot (no idea how to work those damned things) but I do love rice pilaf made on the stovetop, and I love cornish game hens stuffed with my own homemade stuffing made from dried bread pieces and a mixture of spices (pulverized sage, thyme, onion, marjoram, black pepper, celery seed, red pepper flakes crushed or ground).  That's a wonderful tasting combination of spices.  If I make the carrots I mentioned above, I often use some of the chicken broth from those carrots in the dressing for the liquid, but you hafta be careful not to overdo the liquid or you'll end up with runny, mushy dressing and ewwww!

Cole slaw is often thought of as a summer dish, but we loved it anytime of year, but not the kind with creamy dressing.  We like the vinegar and oil type dressing on our coleslaw in my family.  We also are not afraid to put the stuffing inside the turkey or the guinea hens or whatever kind of bird we're eating.  This biden assministration has us scared of our own shadows and I just do things the way my Mom did them and the way I've always done them since I started my own kitchen!  NEVER let the gubmint tell you what to do about anything.

A government which robs Peter to
pay Paul can always depend on
the support of Paul.
-- George Bernard Shaw

Board footera