My Polka Dot Apron

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 1, 2024 12:14 am  #1

Old-Fashioned Scalloped Potatoes

The way my family made and liked them, except that we always added TONS of onions to ours.  My Mom used a sliced onion (the rings) my grandma's both used chopped onions.  Doesn't matter, the taste is the same it's just that the rings are probably faster to do.  Be sure not to add the liquid until last (pour it down the sides of the pan or into a corner if you're using a square pan 9 x 13 is best).

These are delicious, I swear!

https://frugalhausfrau.com/2020/07/30/old-fashioned-scalloped-potatoes/

A government which robs Peter to
pay Paul can always depend on
the support of Paul.
-- George Bernard Shaw

July 1, 2024 12:23 am  #2

Re: Old-Fashioned Scalloped Potatoes

Of all the online recipes I searched through looking for this original one, every stinking recipe contained canned soup mixes or make on the stove sauces and to me those are not original recipes.  NO ONE USED CHEESE EITHER.  Then they become like a cross between cheese noodles (like mac and cheese) and yuk - - just NO.  Stick to potatoes, flour sprinkled over them, salt and pepper (I combine my salt and pepper into a old empty spice jar and it's all ready to go for all kinds of recipes), LOTS AND LOTS OF ONIONS, and fresh milk poured slowly down the side or corner of the pan you are baking these in.  I have never tried making these in a crock pot, I don't think it would work well, because for the last 15 minutes of baking I take the foil off the top and bake until the top layer is crusty.  But do whatever you want, I guess.

My tried and true recipe has held up well for the past 110 years in my family, I guess they'll continue to be a favorite with no changes at all.  When my kids object to cheese on ANYTHING, I know it's not a good addition. 

A government which robs Peter to
pay Paul can always depend on
the support of Paul.
-- George Bernard Shaw

Board footera