My Polka Dot Apron

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 14, 2018 8:11 pm  #1

Corporate takeover of organics

I had words with the manager of one of my local supermarkets a while back.  That company (owned, of course, by a larger corporate company) recently spent millions of dollars "remodeling" their store.  The ultimate result is that now no one can find anything because every aisle has been changed.  There's dog food where the spices used to be, you know, that sort of nonsense.

Supposedly this "remodel" widened the aisles so two people with carts could go down the same aisle - except that now the store owners set little baskets full of junk all over the place in these "widened aisles" and there's really still only room for one cart - but I digress. 

The reason I had words with him is because they have "expanded" their organic section and it is a complete joke.

It wasn't very good before the remodel, but now it's totally corporate.  You can tell they didn't listen to the people who shop there, even after taking an extensive survey of their wants and needs before they expanded and reorganized their organic crap section. 

I told they guy they should just eliminate this farce because it makes organic foods a joke, and enriches the corporate coffers by offering mostly boxed CRAP that I wouldn't consider organic anyhow.  Most of these organic pickings (snack & nutritional bars, cereals, etc) have more sugar in them than regular, corporate-made, boxed sugary cereals and bars.  They think they can get away with calling it organic because these products are made with "organic cane sugar" or some other sugar substitute that's supposed to be better for you than *regular* sugar.  It's not better for you when they use twice as much of it and then slap a USDA approved "organic" label on it.  And they are pushing all this gluten-free junk until it makes one want to puke.   

This is just disgusting and completely bastardizes the whole reason for organic foods in the first place. 

But, in the end, it surely does support the junk phood corporations of america, who are in the process of buying out all of what was once an upstanding group of producers of real organic foods.  The corporate goal is money, of course, and they're going to make it happen no matter what it takes.  I would imagine a lot of these corporate food producing industries are owned by democrats . . .  

https://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2018/08/14/the-corporate-takeover-of-all-natural-food.aspx

Don't be fooled by boxed organic foods.  And DON'T ever trust a label, not ever again.  Eat real produce which is locally grown in your area (friends, farmer's markets, food co-op stores - whatever) and locate pasture-fed beef and chicken, woodland pork, and only eggs from pastured chickens.  It's really the only way you can claim to "eat organic".  Most of us don't live in places where all of those types of foods are available, you just have to do the best you can. I think a lot of us will have to learn to eat "seasonally" which many will find hard to do because we've been spoiled by the fact that so many foods are available year-round now, where that didn't used to be the case.  When I was growing up, we had bananas available to us for about one month during the summer, and that was it.  The rest of the year we went without bananas - - and guess what?  We survived!  Imagine that.  Ditto for melons, corn, most greens, etc.  Our families made it work and we can make it work now, too.

PLEASE don't substitute corporate organic for the real thing.  Not ever. It only encourages them.

A government which robs Peter to
pay Paul can always depend on
the support of Paul.
-- George Bernard Shaw

Board footera