My Polka Dot Apron

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 22, 2017 1:03 am  #1

Damon makes hypocrisy an art form

Great article on hypocrisy, for sure! Not only that, but the author makes a great point, unknowingly, about how bad the public school system really is, at least the English departments . . .   To hear grown people use the term "much of a" makes my blood boil (see below).  So does the word anyways.  There is NO such word as anyways, but I hear it (and see it online) all the time.  Are people really, honestly that stupid?

Ironically, the film focuses primarily on the School District of Philadelphia, where the taxpayers fail to receive much of a [MINE: "of a" really? "much OF A return"??  I think the author needs to go back to school.  Good gawd. Just say "doesn't receive much return" - that is correct grammar.] return on their dollar: $12,270.00 per child -- many of whom are receiving an inferior education. “The problem isn’t that we need some market-based reform or answer,” says Rhonda Brownstein, of the Education Law Center in the film. “The problem is that we need to invest more in our public schools,” she adds.

Ms. Brownstein must know something the nation’s top education reformer doesn’t know. Michelle Rhee made the [url=http://content.time.com/time/covers/0,16641,20081208,00.html]cover of Time magazine[/url] for her efforts to transform the nation’s lowest academic rated district while acting as Chancellor of Education in D.C. Where does one start in such a quagmire? 

Rhee got more than she bargained for while working many 14-hour days. She discovered incompetent and corrupt administrators who were costing the district literally hundreds of thousands in lawsuits, warehouses with unopened boxes teeming over with brand-new materials (while dedicated teachers were paying for supplies out of pocket); more than 1,000 grossly incompetent teachers at dozens of failing schools (she managed to dismiss more than 1,000 teachers); and an intractable union boss, Randi Weingarten, president of American Federation of Teachers (with whom she refused to meet in the same room after numerous fruitless encounters).

No wonder Time magazine featured Rhee on the cover with a broom in her hands -- cleaning up a demoralized school district. The headline read: “How to Fix America’s Schools,” with an illuminating subhead: “Michelle Rhee is the head of Washington D.C. schools. Her battle against bad teachers has earned her admirers and enemies -- and could transform public education.” There was hope in the air and fewer incompetents showing up for work in the nation’s capital.

Because this isn’t Hollywood, Ms. Rhee didn’t last long on the job -- despite her outstanding performance in dramatically improving the academic level of students at some of the poorest performing schools. Ms. Rhee refused to stay on the job when the unions successfully removed public officials supporting her in her reform efforts, and replacing them with union-backed public politicians.

http://www.americanthinker.com/articles/2017/09/school_choice_matt_damon_elevates_hypocrisy_to_an_artform.html

A government which robs Peter to
pay Paul can always depend on
the support of Paul.
-- George Bernard Shaw

Board footera