My Polka Dot Apron

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 3, 2017 9:08 pm  #1

Best ever whole wheat bread

This is without a doubt the best whole wheat bread recipe I've ever found. I make this by hand - always. I've never tried it in a bread machine, and I doubt that I ever will. The elasticity is just not the same from a machine as what you can get with hand-kneading. No question! This recipe makes two loaves; if you want four loaves, just double and it's still a do-able recipe.

All of you people who are afraid of wheat because some diet guru told you that you should be, you have no idea what you're missing.  

You can order organic whole wheat online now, so you really have no excuses!

WHOLE WHEAT BREAD

1 pkg dry yeast
2 cups warm water
1/2 cup butter, softened
1/4 cup molasses, maybe just a tad more
1/2 cup honey, raw and fresh
1 tsp sea salt
3 cups whole wheat flour
2 cups white unbleached flour
1+ cup white whole wheat flour (you may need to add a little extra after kneading)

Dissolve yeast in warm water; combine butter, molasses, honey, salt and mix well. Add yeast mixture. Gradually add flour. Turn dough onto floured board and knead until smooth and elastic, about 7-10 minutes. Place in oiled bowl and let rise until double, about 45 minutes to 1 hour. Punch down and let dough rest for a few minutes.

Shape into two loaves and place into oiled bread pans; let rise about 1 hour more, then bake in preheated 375 oven for 35-40 minutes. About halfway through the baking time, I brush on some coconut oil to keep the moisture inside. When golden brown on top, remove from oven, turn pans onto their side for 10 minutes, then turn onto the other side for 10 minutes. This should loosen the loaves and they should easily come out of the pans. If not, let cool a bit longer.

A government which robs Peter to
pay Paul can always depend on
the support of Paul.
-- George Bernard Shaw

Board footera