My Polka Dot Apron

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 19, 2018 8:16 pm  #1

Growing potatoes in crates or tires, and curing them

Sounds like a good idea.  I like the idea of mixing dried leaves in with the straw and compost and soil.  We certainly always have plenty of leaves around here in the fall and can save them in the paper recycle bags.  Up here where I live we call them RALF bags because that's what it says on the side of the bag!

There are building plans for making the crates yourself, but to me aren't very clear because these people have used the wood from old crates they already had on hand.  I was wishing they'd say where they got their materials, etc. 

You can also grow sweet potatoes this way (according to them) but I've tried that in years past and it's not very successful.  Stick with red or russet potatoes (I HATE yukon gold potatoes - ewww - besides those come from mostly GMO sources because "gold, butter flavored potatoes" are not something mother nature puts out).  And I'm sorry but I also don't like purple potatoes.  I think they're good for you and all, but I just can't make myself eat a purple potato.  One-eyed one-horned flying purple people eater . . .    

Here's the how-to for ya > > > - - - > > > https://oldworldgardenfarms.com/2016/06/30/23048/

*** We actually grow our potatoes using the "tire" method.  We have to hide them in the backyard because they are so ugly, but they get the job done!  Be sure to wash the tires and scrub with a brush to get the "road" off of them and then line with burlap before adding your soil mixture (a lot of straw, some dried leaves from fall, dirt or top soi, compost if you have it).

Here's some info on that subject, but you can do your own search to find more info if you need it.  I would still recommend the straw and soil mixture, and if you can add leaves saved from fall, that's also a great idea.  Compost is up to you - some people have it some people don't. 

https://garden.lovetoknow.com/wiki/Grow_Potatoes_in_Tires

Also, learn to CURE your potatoes before you store them.  Some important info here:  http://ourstoneyacres.com/curing-potatoes-winter-storage

A government which robs Peter to
pay Paul can always depend on
the support of Paul.
-- George Bernard Shaw

August 19, 2018 8:52 pm  #2

Re: Growing potatoes in crates or tires, and curing them

The idea to post about planting potatoes came from my today's edition of Old World Garden Blog.  Why do they post things about planting stuff now?  It's almost autumn already, there would never be time to start growing potatoes now, not where I live anyhow.  You can tell that the people who write those blogs live somewhere where the weather is suitable for growing things year 'round.

These bloggers should keep that in mind when they plan their writings. But that's just me. 

A government which robs Peter to
pay Paul can always depend on
the support of Paul.
-- George Bernard Shaw

Board footera