My Polka Dot Apron

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 19, 2018 5:40 am  #1

Homemade "copycat" Heinz 57 sauce

I loved the original (classic) Heinz 57 for meatloaf and burgers.  I do not use anything on my steak because otherwise you can't taste the steak!  This is a great copycat recipe and you can make smaller or larger amounts  - -  just taste-test as you go along. 

Homemade "Copycat" Heinz 57 Sauce: In a bowl, combine 1/2 cup of ketchup, 3 tablespoons of Worcestershire sauce, 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon of prepared mustard, 2 teaspoons of lemon juice, and a few drops of Tabasco sauce.  

I can't remember where or when I got this recipe but I found it today when I was going through one of my many recipe boxes.  Was glad to find it again because we are having burgers for supper tonight!

A government which robs Peter to
pay Paul can always depend on
the support of Paul.
-- George Bernard Shaw

January 25, 2021 1:11 am  #2

Re: Homemade "copycat" Heinz 57 sauce

bumping this to the top; haven't done that for a while and this stuff is soooooo good!

the support of Paul.
-- George Bernard Shaw

September 5, 2023 10:59 pm  #3

Re: Homemade "copycat" Heinz 57 sauce

bumping again

***** If you add some mayo to this recipe, you have Harley's secret dipping sauce for french fries or onion rings.  Harley was in my class in high school and bought a local food drive-in because the owners wanted to retire and all the kids in high school were having a fit because they had the best burgers in town.  So Harley bought the place, made a fortune & is now a laid back realtor.  Go figure. In the late 1960's and early 1970's he also started serving hot dogs with sauerkraut on them rather than a brat (which us girls didn't care for).  It was another instant hit for him.  He also made a WONDERFUL pizza burger and a grinder type sandwich using cabbage rather than lettuce - another instant hit with the kids.  He also had the BEST chocolate shakes in town, hands down.  That place was packed all the time and the cars were waiting in line in the street  !!

the support of Paul.
-- George Bernard Shaw

Board footera