My Polka Dot Apron

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 14, 2018 2:54 pm  #1

Homemade cream of anything soup

I thought I posted this here, but I've done a search (which is quite lame at this forum) and found nothing, so I'm posting it  again.

Don't buy creamed soups at the store. They are loaded with garbage ingredients and preservatives.

Make your own. It's easy and you can make whatever kind you need or want in just a few minutes. I make cream of celery often because I use it for casseroles and because it's one of our favorite flavors. You can also make cream of mushroom, onion, a mixture of colorful peppers (sweet or hot, your choice), broccoli, cauliflower, asparagus, brussels sprouts - pick a veggie or a combo of your own.

Melt butter (only real butter, no substitutes please) and sweat your chosen veggies or brown them, whichever you prefer. Add some flour and make a crumbly mixture, then slowly add some real, raw milk and continue to stir with a whisk or a fork until the lumps are all smoothed out and the "soup" is the thickness you desire. You can make it thick or thin, your choice. Add sea salt and pepper to taste. Sometimes, depending on how I'm going to use the creamed soup, I will add other spices/herbs, like dill weed, fennel seeds, a little cardamom or allspice or nutmeg. YUM!

There you have it. Simple, easy, healthy and tasty.

**One note: if you aren't going to brown the flour, don't use flour or you will have a very "floury" taste. https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/thepolkadotapron/forum_data/forums.th/thep/thepolkadotapron/smilies/20.gif
Got that?! Use a little arrowroot instead.

A government which robs Peter to
pay Paul can always depend on
the support of Paul.
-- George Bernard Shaw

Board footera