My Polka Dot Apron

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 3, 2017 10:04 pm  #1

Sweet Cream Cake (and variations)

I'm always looking for a good cake recipe which has "variations" to make them slightly different if you so desire. This is a basic cake but there are variations that sound good (which I'll post, too) and even a cupcake recipe.

===================

SWEET CREAM CAKE

Oil and flour either two 9" layer pans or a 9 x 13 cake pan

Beat with mixer until very thick (about 5 min): 3 large eggs
Beat in gradually: 1 1/3 cups sugar
Sift together: 2 1/4 cups sifted all purpose flour (or 2 1/3 cups Softasilk cake flour)
3 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
Stir in alternately with: 1 1/3 cups rich cream (30 to 35% butterfat)
1 1/2 tsp vanilla

Pour into prepared pan(s). Bake and cool. For a tempting topping, sprinkle with sugar and cinnamon about 3 minutes before removing from the oven.

BAKE: 350°
TIME: Bake layers 25-30 min
Bake oblong pan 40-45 min (I'd keep an eye out, though)

=======================

VARIATION #1

SPICE CREAM CAKE
Follow the above recipe - except add spices to the dry ingredients before sifting.

Use: 3 tsp cinnamon
1 1/2 tsp cloves
1 1/2 tsp allspice

You may also add chopped nuts, dates or raisins to the spice cake without changing any of the other ingredients.

===========================

VARIATION #2

SOUR CREAM SPICE CAKE

Prepare a 9 x 13 pan for this, and follow the main Sweet Cream Cake recipe above, but use:

3 eggs
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 1/4 cups all purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
3/4 tsp soda
2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp cloves
1 tsp allspice
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 cups sour cream (also 30 to 35% butterfat)

Pour into prepared pan and bake as above. Sprinkle with powdered sugar if desired.

*To make a plain Sour Cream Cake, omit the spices and add vanilla and lemon extract for flavoring.

============================

SOUR CREAM CUPCAKES
Follow recipe above for Sour Cream Spice Cake and fold in at the last step, about 1/2 cup each of chopped nuts and raisins. Pour into muffin cups and bake. You can use cupcake liners in the pan if you wish, or butter and flour the muffin pan. Bake 18-20 minutes at about 400°.

A government which robs Peter to
pay Paul can always depend on
the support of Paul.
-- George Bernard Shaw

Board footera