My Polka Dot Apron

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 4, 2019 11:39 pm  #1

Farewell to the Weekly Standard

FAREWELL, FINALLY, to Bill Kristol.  I can't stand the guy and neither can many other people I've visited with.  I agree with the author though, that I hate to see a print magazine go out of  business, the view of Kristol made it unreadable anyway.

Quote from article at link below:

"And now let’s examine a most serious subject—why a once-omnipotent Uncle Sam no longer wins at war. I recently had a letter and a book from John D. Caldwell, writing to me from Santa Barbara, Calif. I am reading it as I write this, it is as interesting a book as it gets. The title is Anatomy of Victory, and its subtitle, Why the United States Triumphed in World War II, Fought to a Stalemate in Korea, Lost in Vietnam, and Failed in Iraq. The central problem the author addresses is the unsatisfying outcome to the conflicts after 1945. This is something few of us who witnessed the World War think about. Why has the good Uncle become such a patsy? Did we win the war because of the inadequacies of the German strategic architecture, as Robert Citino’s excellent Death of the Wehrmacht points out, or were we as good as the movies of the time tell us?

Caldwell offers a set of guidelines about how to think about involvement in any continuing or future conflict."

https://www.takimag.com/article/farewell-to-the-poisoned-dwarf-and-four-pizzas/

Another great quote from the article, I just couldn't resist since I detest Dickhead Cheney with every ounce of my being.

"Iraq, of course, was the biggest folly ever. Here’s where the Poisoned Dwarf and Four Pizzas revealed themselves to be not only careerists but also more concerned with the safety of Israel than that of their fellow Americans. Let American blood flow, as long as American settlers in the West Bank can live free on stolen Palestinian lands. The irony is, of course, that Kristol and Podhoretz are still welcome in Washington and—like that other scumbag who took perhaps as many as nine deferments from the draft, Dick Cheney—have the gall to offer their opinions to the unsuspecting."

Last edited by Debrah (January 4, 2019 11:49 pm)

A government which robs Peter to
pay Paul can always depend on
the support of Paul.
-- George Bernard Shaw

Board footera