My Polka Dot Apron

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 11, 2018 2:19 am  #1

The beauty of brick

This is why I love brick buildings.  Just lookit that old depot.  Do you really think if that thing was originally made of wood it would still be in that great shape??  Doubt it would even still be standing.   This is located in Mitchell, South Dakota, also home of the historic Corn Palace.

https://www.onlyinyourstate.com/south-dakota/train-themed-restaurant-sd/?utm_medium=email&utm_source=south-dakota&utm_campaign=newsletter

This is why I love brick buildings and brick houses.  They last a long time compared to the crackerbox houses of today that are built in 5 minutes and last about 5 minutes, as well.  But they cost a half a million dollars.  I feel the same about the steel and glass buildings on all the famous streets in NYC and all over creation these days.  Even the car dealerships in our area all have that same ugly look, I don't even know how to describe it.  Like someone with absolutely no imagination designed them.  Ditto for our cars - - they all look the same, like they belong in a foreign country. 

When I went to college in Aberdeen back in the early 1970's, there was an old train depot on the south end of town.  A bunch of kids got together and borrowed the money to make it into a bar.  It was a huge success and is still going strong.  There is still a depot but now it's not a train depot anymore because there are no more passenger trains (what a damned shame).  It's a bus depot (brick and beautiful) because Aberdeen was what was called a train "hub" so there were rail-lines at both ends of town in the 1940's through the 1960's.  The tracks at the north end of town are still used to haul grain, coal, etc.

A government which robs Peter to
pay Paul can always depend on
the support of Paul.
-- George Bernard Shaw

Board footera