My Polka Dot Apron

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 19, 2018 10:22 pm  #1

Planting fall bulbs for spring color

Nothing like tulips and bright yellow daffodils to brighten a cool spring morning.

There are lots of bulb plants to choose from, so get busy and pick out the ones you want (I buy them at the local hardware store) and get the ground ready because soon it will be time to get them planted.

https://thisismygarden.com/2018/08/planting-fall-bulbs/

Bulbs should be dug up and replanted about ever 4-5 years depending on the variety of plant.

One thing that's always bothered me about working so hard to plant things and make the yard look nice, is that when we sell our home someday, will the people who buy it enjoy gardening enough to keep up the garden area?  Few millennials buying homes these days give a hoot about planting flowers, keeping up the flowers that are already in the yards, or even keeping up the lawn for that matter.  It requires time and effort and few millennials want to do anything more than slide their finger around on a screen of some kind and play games.

So all the hard work MY generation did to produce beautiful flower beds and vegetable gardens, etc., is probably not going to remain with our homes for long.  It's made me rethink what I plant, I can tell you for a fact.  Now I stick to things like bulbs and only buy perennial plants and native grasses which can survive with what nature provides, because I doubt the next generation will be into taking care of yardwork.

Just something to think about when you're working your butt off to make you home look good. 

A government which robs Peter to
pay Paul can always depend on
the support of Paul.
-- George Bernard Shaw

Board footera